Event : Junior camp Ormside Mill Oct 2010

Junior camp 2010

On the first of what is hoped to many visits to Ormside Mill Tommy’s staff and volunteers took a merry band of 12 juniors on a weekend residential weekend.

The weather was being very kind to us as we arrived in convoy to the very picturesque Ormside Mill. On arrival the first task at hand is to calm an excited group of children then on to off loading the vehicles. Once we were all packed away and beds made it was time to explore the Mill and the grounds. The grounds are made up of a large field for activities a nice camp fire area and the barn which is used for indoor activities.

After the exploration of the ground we split the staff up and sent one group off to do an activity with the children and the second group prepared a nice evening meal. Once we were all fed and watered it was time to relax in front of the wood burning fire and have a chat about what the next day would bring, then off to bed (although the sleeping part did take some hours to be achieved).

The early morning wake up call did not go down to well with some, but with a full day of activities planned we had to be up and out early. Once filled with a full breakfast we set off to a morning of rock climbing and abseiling. This thrilling activity tested the nerve of all who took part, especially the abseiling. Once all complete we set off back to Ormside for a spot of lunch and to prepare for the afternoon activity.

The afternoon’s events involved a drive in to the hills for stop of gorge scrambling, with our trusted activity co-ordinators we set of into the hills to the base of a steep gorge. After exiting the vehicles we all donned our wetsuits and safety gear and using the river bed as our path we set off up the hill. Some points of the river where nice and easy with a gentle flow of water flowing past our feet, but parts involved us climbing up rock formations that had form small water falls. One of these water falls allowed some of the group to block the flow whilst another member got in to place, then they moved unleashing a cascade of water onto the person at the bottom, what fun, needless to say we ALL had to have a go at being at the bottom. Once at the top it was a much easier walk down back to the vehicles where we all go dried off and headed back to Ormside.

After getting cleaned up and the evening meal was prepared and then back round the wood burning fire to talk about the days activities. Surprisingly the day events seemed to have a strange effect on the group and the call for bed time was met with no resistance and sleep came much quicker then the previous night.

The last day and up not so early today, a nice breakfast and after cleaning up dressed and out on to the field for a day of on site activities. We spent most of the day play group games and team games such as raft building only stopping for lunch. Its mid afternoon and time to clean up and then pack our things away ready for the journey back to Fleetwood. The trip was very quiet with many sleeping on the way back.

On arriving home to the waiting parent the staff and volunteers where pleased to hear the children telling their parent of the activities they had done with great excitement in their voices and already looking forward to the next camp.

Many thanks to all the staff and volunteers who gave up their time to make this trip possible.